Click here to watch Dr. Kraus's presentation at the 2018 CJD Foundation Family Conference in Washington, D.C.
Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is a reactive oxygen species (ROS) produced naturally by the immune system as a defense response to invading pathogens. Recently, we have shown that hypochlorous acid solutions are potent inactivators of prions and I have evidence that human immune cells can inactivate prions through production of HOCl and related compounds. The objectives of my research include investigating how HOCl and ROS species produced in a host can influence prion inactivation and removal following prion infection.
Dr. Kraus is the recipient of:
- The Jon Fansler Memorial Grant, contributed by Rhonda Fansler
- The John Gill Memorial Grant, contributed by Lisa Marie Gill Braun
- The Eugene A. Riedel Memorial Grant, contributed by Jacqueline Riedel
- The Tom Stivison Memorial Grant, contributed by Cookie Stivison
- The Vincent Walsh Memorial Grant, contributed by Sue Walsh