David A. Harris, M.D., Ph.D.
“Highly Synergistic Combination Therapy for Prion Diseases”
Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine
Click here to watch Dr. Harris's presentation at the 2018 CJD Foundation Family Conference in Washington, D.C.
This project will test a potentially powerful combination therapy for prion disorders that aims to block two distinct steps in the disease process: (1) the accumulation of infectious prions; and (2) the ensuing nerve cell damage caused by activating specific cellular pathways. We predict that combining drugs that target both of these steps will be significantly more effective than current mono-therapies, which are designed exclusively to reduce prion accumulation.
Dr. Harris is the recipient of:
- The Marcos Amongero Memorial Grant, contributed by Lauren Amongero and Family
- The Michael H. Cole Memorial Grant, contributed by Jeanne Cole
- The Robert Dodd Memorial Grant, contributed by Kathleen Dodd and Family
- The Eugene A. Riedel Memorial Grant, contributed by Jacqueline Riedel
- The Jeffrey A. Smith Memorial Grant, contributed by The Jeffrey and Mary Smith Family Foundation