This study will explore how processes that regulate gene expression can be dramatically deregulated in human diseases. Understanding how, when, and where can tremendously impact on disease management, prevention and treatment. This project will look at one of these processes: DNA methylation (the addition of methyl marks to the DNA molecules) in patients with genetic prion diseases. The aim is to correlate these marks with disease onset and to develop markers to track the disease in patients, with the purpose of making clinical trials more feasible.
Dr. Vire is the recipient of:
- The Robert Dodd Memorial Grant, contributed by Kathleen Dodd and Family
- The John Gill Memorial Grant, contributed by Lisa Marie Gill Braun and Family
- The Cheryl Molloy Memorial Grant, contributed by Tim Molloy and Family
- The Marsha K. Snively Memorial Grant, contributed by Ed Snively and Family
- The Strides for CJD Grant, contributed by the Families of the CJD Foundation