This study tests the possibility of using a specific version of anti-prion antibody (a nanobody) to block prion propagation and thereby to stop the progression of prion disease. The nanobody is a promising therapeutic agent against prion disease, binds to PrPc with high affinity, abolishes prion infection in cells, inhibits prion propagation by PMCA, and shows no neurotoxicity in brain cell cultures.
Dr. Ma is the recipient of:
- The Katie Pohl Dopirak Memorial Grant, contributed by The Pohl and Dopirak Families
- The Cheryl Molloy Memorial Grant, contributed by Tim Molloy and Family
- The Jeffrey A. Smith Memorial Grant, contributed by The Jeffrey and Mary Smith Family Foundation
- The Tom Stivison Memorial Grant, contributed by Sandra (Cookie) Stivison
- The CJD Foundation Grant, contributed by the Families of the CJD Foundation